Crock-Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
As soon as the temps start to drop, you can find me eating soups as many meals as I possibly can. What I love about soups is they are so easy to throw together, make for amazing leftovers and can freeze and be reheated for busy weeks.
This recipe is a take on a chicken tortilla soup recipe my mom used to make for us all the time growing up. It’s best served topped with tortilla chips or shreds of tortilla, cheese and cilantro.
In my love for soups, two products have become superstars in my kitchen lately - 1. Crock-Pot. 2. Instant Pot. So I’ve been using a crockpot for years, but just recently started using the Instant Pot a few months ago. I’m hooked on both. This recipe can be made in either one - but I love the way this soup smells up my house when cooked in the crockpot.
Let me tell you, this is soon to be your go-to soup for weekday meals, family gatherings or sick days.
Crock-pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Healthy + Hearty
- 2-3 organic boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can of your favorite salsa (I used Garlic Chiptole Salsa from TJ's)
- 1 qt container low sodium chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 T chili powder
- Toppings: tortilla chips/tortillas, cilantro, cheese
- Place chicken breasts, salsa, chicken broth, garlic + spices in a crock-pot.
- Turn crock-pot on low or high (dependent on speed of cooking desired).
- Once thoroughly cook, shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- Top with desired toppings and enjoy :)
If making in Instant Pot, place all ingredients in and press the “soup/broth” button to cook.